Q: What services do doctors of optometry provide?
A: Doctors of optometry provide a wide range of services including the following:
- Examine eyes for health and vision problems
- Diagnose and treat eye disease
- Detect and identify general health problems manifested in the eye (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, sickle cell anemia, etc.)
- Diagnose and treat glaucoma
- Provide pre-and post-operative care for pathologies and trauma
- Remove foreign bodies from eyes
- Provide emergency treatment for eye accidents
- Prescribe glasses or other devices for specialized vision needs such as hunting, computer work, playing piano, etc.
- Provide rehabilitative services for victims of head injuries with impared vision
- Work with pilots, athletes, in need to improve vision performance
- Evaluate eye coordination for reading and provide vision therapy to improve academic performance
- Set up industrial vision programs
- Consult with businesses on environmental vision
- Work with schools and community groups on vision screening, career days, programs on eye care, etc.
- Work with Parents as Teacher, educators and parents to enhance the learning potential of preschoolers and students and to inform parents of the importance of preventive eye and vision care
- Provide low vision services for those with significant visual impairment